As our new Technician you will assist in the general research projects, with emphasis on proteomics workflows consisting of sample preparation, chromatographic separation, and MS-based characterization and quantitation of peptides and proteins. In addition, you will support the group by measuring intact native proteins with specialized mass spectrometry instrumentation, like HDX, Orbi-traps and TOF’s. Part of your time will be spent managing and running a fee for service to biopharmaceutical companies, by solving ‘research’ questions using native mass spectrometry. You will support the proteomics research by maintaining analytical equipment such as the HPLC (RP, SEC, IEX, HpH), centrifuges, etc. Furthermore, you will maintain the stock of consumables and materials and where needed assist in testing and improving the used methodology and instrumental setup.
We are looking for a hands-on, flexible, self-motivated colleague who is also a team player, open minded and creative and last but not least: you are driven by knowledge and results through your passion and enthusiasm!
You also have:
- a Bachelor’s or Master’s in science education in analytical chemistry, biochemistry or a related field;
- good interpersonal skills and a proven ability to communicate effectively and work well with your colleagues;
- self-initiative and you are eager to learn and to improve current workflows;
- the ability to follow instructions and take direction;
- skills in using standard productivity software;
- a demonstrated knowledge and experience in mass spectrometric techniques like LC-MS/MS, proteomics and native mass spectrometry (considered a plus);
- experience with analytical and biochemical methods such as liquid chromatography based fractionation of peptides and proteins (considered a plus);
- good verbal and written communication skills in Dutch and/or English and you can maintain/build good customer relations.
- A position for 1 year with a possible extension to 3-4 years or longer;
- A full-time gross salary ranging from €2,329 to €3,144 starting in scale 7;
- Benefits including 8% holiday bonus and 8.3% end-of-year bonus;
- A pension scheme, partially paid parental leave, and flexible employment conditions externe linkbased on the Collective Labour Agreement Dutch Universities (cao).
In addition to the employment conditions laid down in the cao for Dutch Universities, Utrecht University has a number of its own arrangements. For example, there are agreements on professional development, leave arrangements and sports. We also give you the opportunity to expand your terms of employment yourself via the Employment Conditions Selection Model. This is how we like to encourage you to continue to grow.